Students are required to register their vehicles with the school to be allowed to park and operate the vehicles on school property. Only students with a valid driver’s license and proof of liability insurance required by Texas law will be issued a permit. A fee of $40.00 will be charged for this parking privilege, and this will be prorated after first semester. A tag will be issued which must be displayed at all times the vehicle is on school property and may not be shared with other students. Vehicles which are not registered, and cannot be identified, or are parked outside the designated area, may be towed from school property at the owner’s expense. Sophomores will be allowed to initiate the process of obtaining a parking permit if they have passed all classes the previous six weeks.
Vehicles parked on school property are under the jurisdiction of the school. The school reserves the right to search the vehicle. Searches of vehicles may be conducted at any time there is reasonable cause to do so, with the presence of the driver. The driver has full responsibility for the security of the vehicle and will make certain is it locked and that the keys are not given to others. The driver will be held responsible for any prohibited objects or substances such as alcohol, drugs, or weapons that are found in the vehicle. Students will be subject to disciplinary consequences for violations as well as referral for criminal prosecution when warranted.
While on school grounds, vehicles will be driven in a manner which preserves the safety of the driver, passengers, pedestrians and property. Violation of established rules may result in citations as well as the loss of driving and parking privileges on school property.
Students driving vehicles on school property must observe the following rules:
- The issued permit will be a window sticker placed on the windshield.
- Abide by the posted speed limits or below 10 miles per hour.
- Students may park only in designated lots, within one parking space.
- Students will not park in red fire lanes, faculty spaces, marked visitor slots or in the bus loading area or handicapped spaces.
- Students are to vacate their vehicles immediately after arriving on campus.
- Students may return to vehicles only with permission or at the end of the school day.
- Avoid overloading vehicles and do not ride on top of or outside of vehicles.
- Obey the state law for school buses; do not pass when a bus is parked with red lights blinking.
- Driving offenses to include unsafe or reckless driving (e.g., spinning tires, exceeding safe speed) may result in suspension or revocation of driving privileges for up to the remainder of the school year depending on the severity of the offense.