Workers' Compensation Procedures
All injuries should be reported to the GISD work comp office the day you are notified/witness an injury. If someone from your campus/department is injured, immediately contact the Business Office at (817) 408-4015 and follow these procedures:
- Employee Notice of Injury:
a. Completed by employee. If employee is not able to complete this form, contact (817) 408-4015 for instructions.
b. Fax to the Business Office at (817) 408-4033.
- If medical care is needed, employee completes the Election Form (Option 1 or 2). Also available in Spanish.
- Principal/Director completes the Accident Investigation Report and submits it to the Business Office.
Medical Care Needed:
- Employee reports to the Business Office to receive all medical-related documents.
- In the case of an emergency, Lake Granbury Medical Center ER is available. However, the ER is not the treating physician. If additional care is needed, the employee will still need to follow up with a worker's comp doctor.
- If non-emergency, they must see a physician that accepts Workers’ Comp. Avalon Urgent Care (817-279-7557) and Doctor Kelleher at Lake Granbury Primary Care (817-578-8906) have agreed to see workers’ comp patients. Other options are available. The employee can contact the Business Office at (817) 408-4015 to review these other options.
- When calling for an appointment, identify patient as work comp. The doctor’s office will then call to verify employment. The number for employment verification for work comp is (817) 408-4015. (We can only verify employment if we are aware of an injury/accident). If needed, the number for CAS is 800-765-2412.
CAS (Claims Administrative Services, Inc) instituted a new prescription drug program. If an injured employee is prescribed medication(s), direct them to visit the Business Office to obtain instructions and a list of participating pharmacies. There are no out-of-pocket costs for the employee.
Absences Must be Logged:
Anytime an employee is out due to worker’s comp injury, please notify Business Office the first day missed and forward the doctor’s note stating reason (unable to work, etc.).
If/when an employee misses at least one half workday due to a work comp injury; they must call in and report those absences.
If an employee chose Option 1, all absences attributed to the work comp injury are recorded as “work comp.”
If Option 2 was chosen, then the absences would be logged under whatever available leave they wish to use (sick, personal, etc.) with a description of WC Option #2.
The Principal/Director is responsible for ensuring the Business Office is notified when an employee returns to work.
What to do if the Business Office is Closed:
- If medical care is needed:
1. Supervisor completes the First Report of Injury. (A copy will be distributed to appropriate personnel prior to holiday.)
2. Fax First Report of Injury directly to CAS at 903-509-1888.
3. Fax a copy to (817) 408-4033 with a cover sheet indicating date and time faxed to CAS.
- If medical care is not needed:
1. Employee completes the Employee’s Notice of Injury.
2. Fax a copy to (817) 408-4033. Do not fax this form to CAS.
- If needed, you may contact Sharay Boynton at (817) 326-5143 [home] or (817) 578-4374 [cell].