GHS SPEECH TEAM COMPETES AT STATE CONTEST
March 5, 2012
Four Granbury High School students competed in the Texas Forensic Association state tournament on March 1-3, 2012, at Amarillo High School.
Competing at the state meet were seniors Stephen Carver, Leah Derrington, and Stefanie Mundhenk and junior Garrett Williams.
“Overall the GHS speech team had quite a showing at state,” commented speech and debate coach Shyller McGuire. “I am quite proud of my team who held their own against the big guns.”
Carver and Mundhenk earned their spots in original oratory and Lincoln-Douglas debate respectively during TFA tournaments held throughout the school year. McGuire also selected Derrington and Williams to participate based on their performance at the invitational meets.
The complete results from the state competition were:
- Congressional Debate: Garrett Williams, eighth in semifinal round and fourth in preliminary round
- Impromptu Speaking: Stefanie Mundhenk, seventh in preliminary round
- Lincoln-Douglas Debate: Stefanie Mundhenk, won one of four debates
- Original Oratory: Stephen Carver, second, fourth, and sixth in preliminary rounds
- Poetry Interpretation: Leah Derrington, semifinalist and first in two of three preliminary rounds
- Prose Interpretation: Stephen Carver, sixth in quarterfinal round and third in preliminary round
Links to Related Information:
- 2/20/2012: Speech Duo Qualifies for State TFA Tourney
- 2/9/2012: Academic, Speech Students Clean Up at Timberview and Grandview Meets
- 1/23/2012: Speech and Debate Team Shines in Plano
- 1/11/2012: GHS Students Bring Home Prizes from Arlington Speech Tournament
- 12/9/2011: GHS Speech Tops at South Garland Tournament
- 12/9/2011: Senior Duo Finalists at Capital Congress
- 11/17/2011: Black Pearl Debate Tourney on November 19 at GHS
- 10/18/2011: Speech Students Gain Experience at Teen Court
- 9/26/2011: GHS Senior Earns State Points at Mansfield Speech Tourney