1. Bring the following materials every day unlessotherwise noted by the teacher:
a. Pen (blue orblack ink only)
b. Paper (looseleaf or spiral which tears with a clean edge)
c. Textbook ifwe’re not using a classroom set
e. Expo markers(white board markers)
2. Students may borrow certain materials if they presentcollateral and if they do not abuse this privilege. Students who habitually come to class withoutmaterials will be disciplined.
Grades will be determined on thefollowing basis for English IV and English IV AP:
a. MAJOR grades(tests, essays, projects)—60 percent
b. MINOR grades(quizzes, worksheets, study guides)—30 percent
c. COMMONASSESSMENTS—10 percent (this may or may not be used in a given six weeks. If it is not used, the percentages of theother two categories will be adjusted automatically by Skyward.)
Grades for English IV Dual Credit/English 1301/1302and British Literature and Technical Writing will be determined by guidelinesfrom Weatherford College.
- Use blue or black ink. TEN POINTS WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM PAPERS NOT DONE IN THESE INKS.
- Use loose leaf paper. TEN POINTS WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM PAPERS NOT DONE ON LOOSE LEAF.
- Use the front side only. TEN POINTS WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM PAPERS WRITTEN ON THE BACK.
- Use a FULL heading on the first full page. TEN POINTS WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM PAPERS WITHOUT HEADINGS. We will use MLA format all year.
Date (use 27 August 2012 format as inMLA)
- Use a title on the first page only. The title should be the story title or quiz title, etc. For essays, create your own title, capitalizing the first and all important words. TEN POINTS WILL BE DEDUCTED FROM PAPERS WITH NO TITLE.
- ESSAY INSTRUCTIONS—use MLA formatting:
- Skip one line after the title.
- Indent the first line of each paragraph.
- Messy papers will not be graded. If I can’t read it, I don’t grade it.
- Students generally receive five points of extra credit for typing final drafts of essays except on the research paper which MUST be typed.
a. Students areexpected to be ON TIME to class every day. We will follow the GHS tardy policy. Students will present a tardy slip from the tardy calculator to beadmitted to class.
b. Truancycharges will be filed for cumulative excessive tardies
2. Students must be IN THEIR ASSIGNED SEATS when the bellBEGINS TO RING.
Late work/makeup work
1. By English department policy, NO LATE WORK ISACCEPTED. However, ONE late dialecticjournal may be accepted PER SEMESTER. Students who experience extenuating circumstances may confer with theirteachers to ask for exceptions to this policy on a case-by-case basis.
2. Make up work:
a. Workassigned before you were absent is due THE DAY YOU RETURN TO CLASS.
b. Refer to thestudent handbook for the length of time given to complete makeup work.
c. Assignmentswill always be written on the board or on the PowerPoint. They are usually posted on the dailyPowerPoint and on my web page. You areexpected to COPY THE ASSIGNMENTS FROM THE BOARD or PowerPoint into theassignment section of your notebook at the beginning of each week.
d. Each studentis responsible for HIS OWN MAKEUP WORK.
e. Makeup testsand compositions must be scheduled with the teacher the FIRST DAY the studentreturns to class. This will be done byappointment ONLY before or after school or during conference period. If youfail to keep an appointment or cancel it without notice or good reason, youwill receive a zero for that work.
f. Makeup workshould not be worked on while other instruction occurs.
g. If you needadditional explanation of makeup work, come before or after school or make anappointment.
1. Come to class ON TIME EVERY DAY. (Sit in YOUR assigned seat all period.)
2. Bring your materials with you to class EVERY DAY.
3. Be courteous (Don’t talk when others are talking,especially if the teacher is speaking at the end of the period.)
1. Notebooks will be turned in at the end of eachsemester and may be checked periodically throughout the semester.
2. Divide your notebook into the following sections:
a. Assignments—acopy of the weekly assignments in YOUR HANDWRITING goes here
b. Journal—keepa spiral or notebook paper here for journal assignments
c. Essays—allgraded and corrected final drafts as well as rough drafts go here
d. Classnotes—any handouts and all notes taken in class go here. Keep blank notebook paper here for yourconvenience.e. Dailywork—all graded assignments, exercises, worksheets, etc. go here
I have A lunch. My conference is fourth period. I am available before and after school byappointment. Official tutorial time is4:15-5 on Tuesday and Thursday. For seniors, tutorials work best byappointment.
My school website can be found by navigating to www.granburyisd.org and then to GRANBURYHIGH SCHOOL. I keep my weeklyassignments on this site as well as most of the documents I hand out. It is an INCREDIBLE tool for student andparent information. I urge you tosubscribe to my website by going to the home page and clicking on the REGISTERbutton in the upper right hand corner. You can then choose EDIT SUBSCRIPTIONS to subscribe to my page as wellas the pages of all your teachers and activities. For Weatherford College students, I will alsokeep up my website there through Moodle.