Step 1: Informal Challenge
Parents shall try to resolve the matter informally through a telephone conference or meeting between the complainant and the school librarian, designated campus administrator, or district librarian.
Step 3: Reconsideration Committee
A reconsideration committee is formed within 10 days of receiving the reconsideration form.
Who is on the committee?
- The committee is comprised of 7 representatives: the principal, librarian, instructional specialist, 2 parents, a teacher, and the district library coordinator.
- Each committee is comprised of different parent and teacher representatives.
What is required of committee members?
- All committee members must read the challenged material in its entirety.
- The reconsideration committee will be guided by a list of questions which consider:
- Is the book pervasively vulgar?
- Is it educationally suitable according to the 11 items in the selection criteria?
What actions may be taken as a result of committee determinations?
- The book may be removed entirely from all libraries.
- The book may be moved to an upper level library.
- The book may stay in the library in current location.