Course description for Engineering Design and Civil Engineering and Architecture
- Introduction to Engineering Design (IED)
- Designed for 9th or 10th grade students, the major focus of the IED course is to expose students to the design process, research and analysis, teamwork, communication methods, global and human impacts, engineering standards and technical documentation.
- Students use 3D solid modeling design software to help them design solutions to solve proposed problems and learn how to document their work and communicate solutions to peers and members of the professional community
The course covers the following:
· The Role of an Engineer
· The Design Process
· Product Design
· Product Analysis and Improvement
· Designing as an Engineer
Civil Engineering and Architecture (CEA)Course Description
- In addition, you will use Inventor, which is a state of the art 3-D design software package from AutoDesk, (the same people that make AutoCAD) to help you design solutions to different design projects. Working in teams, you will learn about documenting your solutions, solving problems, and communicating your solutions to other students and members of the professional community of engineering and engineering design.
Civil Engineering and Architecture is the study of the design and construction of residential and commercial building projects. The course includes an introduction to many of the varied factors involved in building design and construction including building components and systems, structural design, storm water management, site design, utilities and services, cost estimation, energy efficiency, and careers in the design and construction industry.
The major focus of the CEA course is to expose students to the design and construction of residential and commercial building projects, design teams and teamwork, communication methods, engineering standards, and technical documentation.
Utilizing the activity-project-problem-based (APPB) teaching and learning pedagogy, students will analyze, design and build electronic and physical models of residential and commercial facilities. While implementing these designs students will continually hone their interpersonal skills, creative abilities and understanding of the design process.
Civil Engineering and Architecture is a high school level course that is appropriate for the 11th grade students interested in careers related to civil engineering and architecture. Prerequisites are Intro to Engineering (IED) and Principles of Engineering (POE)What will my classes be like?Use 3D modeling software AutoDesk Revit Architecture to create and test your own residential and commercial designs, factoring in:
• Materials and Systems
• Structural Design
• Cost / Efficiency Analysis
• Storm Water Management
• Site Design and Considerations
• Utilities and Services
• Building Codes• Architectural Style and Guidelines
Research the careers and trends in the design and construction industry, including new developments in energy efficiency, green technologies, and changing populations. Be inspired to shape the spaces of the 21st Century!