LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCES FOR ASPIRING PRINCIPALS
The mission of the Granbury ISD (GISD) LEAP Academy is to develop leadership capacity in selected GISD teacher leaders by providing quality learning and coaching experiences in a collaborative and supportive environment with a focus on individual and organizational growth.
The following criteria will be utilized in selecting all LEAP Academy applicants:
- A minimum of three years of teaching experience
- Articulated interest in becoming a campus or district administrator
- Evidence of commitment to ongoing professional growth
- Evidence of leadership abilities as demonstrated in current or previous positions
- Completion of at least 21 hours in an Educational Administration/Educational Leadership Master’s degree program, or hold an earned Master’s degree and 18 hours towards Principal Certification.
- Properly completed application including comprehensive answers to the application questions
- Minimum of two professional references, one of which must be your current supervisor/principal
- Each year GISD will take a cohort of between 8-12 applicants.
- All applications must be received by Friday, September 20, 2019. All applicants will be notified, in writing, of the status of their application by Friday, September 27, 2019. [See Application]
- This year's LEAP Academy will meet monthly for seven months, beginning in October and culminating in April 2020. Academy participants will be recognized by the GISD Board of Trustees at its regular meeting on May 2020.
- One 2-hour sessions per month (seven total meetings)
- Service on a district comprehensive needs assessment committee or planning committee for a district-level event
- Participation in a leadership shadowing activity
- Completion of several program assignments between LEAP sessions
- Participation in a mock interview
- Regular attendance at each session
- Attendance at the May GISD Board Meeting
Potential Session Topics
- G2025: Today and Beyond
- Critical aspects of district and campus decision-making process related to instructional leadership, personnel, budget, and facilities management
- Role of the Assistant Principal, Principal, and Directors
- Effective Leadership in Effective Schools
- Lucy Calkin's "Leading Well"
- Panel Q&A Session with current GISD Assistant Principals
- Panel Q&A Session with current GISD Principals and Directors
- Mock Interview (and feedback) with current GISD Administrators, Principals and district Leadership Team, including Resume and Cover Letter Workshop
- Shadowing Activity (GISD Assistant Principal, Principal, or Director) - This will require a one day district approved absence from your current role.