- Granbury ISD
- Athletic News
Athletics/Community Education Department
- Department Directory
- Director of Athletics Dwight Butler
- Printable Athletic Schedules
- Athletic Ticket Prices
- Required Documents for All Student Athletes
- Academic Standards
- Announcements & Reminders
- Athletic Booster Clubs
- Athletic News
- College Recruiting
- Directions to Area High Schools, Stadiums, and Other Athletic Facilities
- Directions to Area Junior High and Middle Schools
- Drug Testing for Extracurricular Activities
- GHS Sports Roundup
- GISD Athletic Facilities
- Middle School Athletics - Quad County District
- Middle School Soccer & Tennis
- NCAA Eligibility Center
- Summer Camps
- UIL Information
NINE GHS SWIMMERS BOUND FOR STATE CONTEST
February 4, 2020
The Granbury Pirate swimmers repeated as champions of the Region II-5A on January 31-February 1, 2020, at Mansfield ISD’s Debbie Weems Natatorium. Nine qualified for the Class 5A state competition.
In combined team scores, Granbury (577.5) edged out Mansfield Legacy (557) with the girls repeating as regional champions (269.5 ahead of second-place Mansfield Legacy at 180) and boys repeating as regional runners-up (308 behind first-place Mansfield Legacy at 377).
Advancing to state are Trinity Belott, Kori Brawner, Jaden Couto, Daniel D’Souza, Brock Holmgreen, Ashley Loveless, Mary Power, Matthew Walters, and Cutter Willmeth. Most qualified in more than one event.
The state-bound group was part of a strong 25-swimmer contingent who competed at the regional competition. Others were Lawson Berry, Victoria Braby, Jordan Buchanan, Maverick Campbell, Hayden Cox, Marley Fox, Tessa Fox, Kaitlyn Heffernan, Katelyn Jernigan, Madi Jones, Zack Kinsfather, Brady Porter, Faith Schmeets, Ryan Solisz, Ethan Swaim, and Brady Willmeth.
Six school records were broken, according to head coach Jason Pullano, who is assisted by Deneen Carter. Holmgreen broke his own records to set new marks of 53.55 and 1:59.28 in the 100 Backstroke and 200 Individual Medley respectively. D’Souza set new school records for 100 Butterfly (52.72) and 100 Breaststroke (59.86). The team of Couto, D’Souza, Holmgreen, and Walters set 1:28.66 as the new school record for the 200 Freestyle Relay. Likewise, the team of Couto, D’Souza, Holmgreen, and Cutter Willmeth established a new school mark in the 200 Medley Relay (1:38.30).
Results from the region meet finals are below.
- Girls 100 Backstroke: Kori Brawner, seventh; Faith Schmeets, thirteenth; Emma Leslie, eighth; Delaney Dawson, fourteenth
- Girls 100 Breaststroke: Mary Power, fourth; Trinity Belott, fifth
- Girls 100 Butterfly: Mary Power, fourth; Madi Jones, third
- Girls 100 Freestyle: Ashley Loveless, fifth
- Girls 200 Freestyle: Ashley Loveless, third; Kaitylyn Heffernan, tenth
- Girls 200 Individual Medley: Trinity Belott, fifth; Madi Jones, ninth
- Girls 200 Freestyle Relay: Kaitlyn Heffernan, Marley Fox, Madi Jones, Victoria Braby, seventh
- Girls 200 Medley Relay: Kori Brawner, Trinity Belott, Mary Power, Ashley Loveless (first – regional champions, state qualifiers)
- Girls 400 Freestyle Relay: Kori Brawner, Trinity Belott, Mary Power, Ashley Loveless, first (regional champions – state qualifiers)
- Girls 500 Freestyle: Kori Brawner, fourth; Faith Schmeets, seventh; Tessa Fox, tenth
- Boys 50 Freestyle: Matthew Walters, sixth; Brady Willmeth, thirteenth; Maverick Campbell, fifteenth
- Boys 100 Backstroke: Brock Holmgreen, third (state wildcard qualifier); Jaden Couto, tenth
- Boys 100 Breaststroke: Daniel D’Souza, second (state qualifier); Matthew Walters, fourht; Jordan Buchanan, twelfth
- Boys 100 Butterfly: Daniel D’Souza, second (state qualifier); Jaden Couto, ninth
- Boys 100 Freestyle: Brady Willmeth, tenth
- Boys 200 Freestyle: Cutter Willmeth, fifth; Lawson Berry, tenth
- Boys 200 Individual Medley: Brock Holmgreen, first (regional champion – state qualifier); Jordan Buchanan, seventh; Ryan Solisz, ninth
- Boys 200 Freestyle Relay: Matthew Walters, Jaden Couto, Daniel D’Souza, Brock Holmgreen, second (state qualifier)
- Boys 200 Medley Relay: Brock Holmgreen, Daniel D’Souza, Jaden Couto, Cutter Willmeth, second (state qualifiers)
- Boys 400 Freestyle Relay: Matthew Walters, Brady Willmeth, Cutter Willmeth, Lawson Berry, third
- Boys 500 Freestyle: Cutter Willmeth, seventh; Lawson Berry, ninth; Ryan Solisz, eleventh; Brady Porter, fourteenth
The Class 5A state meet is set for February 14-15 at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center on the campus of the University of Teas at Austin.