- Granbury ISD
- Fine Arts News
Return to Headlines
GHS WIND ENSEMBLE PERFORMS AT FAMED MEYERSON CENTER
May 5, 2014
The Granbury High School Pirate Band wind ensemble performed at the Dallas Wind Symphony's Invitational Windband Festival on May 3, 2014, in the landmark Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas.
Ashleen Atchue was recognized as the outstanding woodwind soloist for the festival, and the woodwind section was honored with the Outstanding Woodwind Section award.
Others receiving soloist honors were: Chandler Chiappe, piano; Cameron Hastings, alto saxophone; Alissa Jillson, flute; Ralph Reyna, trumpet; Chase Rogers, clarinet.
For the concert, the wind ensemble performed “March” from Symphonic Metamorphosis by Paul Hindemith, two movements from “Symphony No. 3” by Vittorio Giannini, and “Danzon No. 2” by Arturo Marquez and arranged by Oliver Nickel.
Member of the wind ensemble are: flute – Shannon Cooke, Jocelyn Espinoza, Tiffany Henney Alissa Jillson, Whitney Shearon; oboe – Ashleen Atchue; clarinet – Hailey Chapman, Reagan Clarkson, Kayla Curtis, Chase Rogers, Rayne White; bass/contra clarinet – Josh Brazzell, Drew Harris; bassoon – Braden Jumper; alto saxophone – Cameron Hastings, Emma McKelvain, Britt Sherrell; tenor saxophone – Sam Perez; baritone saxophone – Cody Curtis; trumpet – Brynn Bednarz, Andrew Collins, Matthew Johnson, Neal Rendeiro, Ralph Reyna, Henry Shannon; French horn – Katlyn Backus, Brennan Ross, Lily Thornton; trombone – Reece Ahler, Nick Braby, Gavin Clarkson, McKenzie Swaim; euphonium – Fernando Barragan, Blake Beatty, Evan Franklin; tuba – Jacob Garza, Aaron Morgan, Kendon Parker; percussion – Chandler Chiappe, Trace Chiappe, BreAnne Daly, Justin Kochis, Reagan Hall, Katie McKamy.
The varsity wind ensemble won UIL sweepstakes honors for the fourth year in a row after receiving the top ratings from judges for both the concert and sightreading performances on April 17. Combined with the regional marching contest in October 2013, the band won the top prize with Division I ratings in all three parts of music competition.
The students were under the direction of Mark Eastin.
Photo by Rich Chiappe
Links to Related Information:
Previous News Articles:
- 4/17/2014: GHS Band Wins Fourth Straight Sweepstakes
- 3/31/2014: Ross Performs at TCU Honors Recital
- 3/18/2014: Band Alumni Perform with ACU Ensemble at GHS
- 3/7/2014: Percussionists Dazzle Crowd at Concert
- 3/3/2014: GISD Night of Percussion Slated for March 6
- 2/28/2014: Granbury Bands and Choirs Holding Pre-UIL Concerts
- 2/24/2014: GHS Band Students Perform Well at Solo and Ensemble Contest
- 2/20/2014: GHS Students Perform with All-State Ensembles
- 1/23/2014: All-State Musicians, We the People Team Recognized at School Board Meeting
- 1/21/2014: GHS Pirate Band to Sport New Uniforms
- 1/20/2014: GHS Students Perform with All-Region Band
- 1/17/2014: GHS Band Performs Winter Concert
- 1/14/2014: Hastings Makes All-State Band
- 12/19/2013: Wind Ensemble Invited to Dallas Festival
- 12/18/2013: GHS Band Members Make All-Region
- 11/13/2013: Band Names Beau and Sweetheart
- 11/11/2013: Drumline Wins Big at Lone Star Classic
- 10/28/2013: Pirate Band Shines at Area Marching Contest
- 10/22/2013: Middle School Bands Perform at Halftime Show
- 10/21/2013: GHS Band Earns Superior Rating at UIL Marching Contest
- 10/14/2013: GHS Pirate Band Competes at Unleash the Sound Marching Festival
- 9/30/2013: Band Marches Through Rain at Mansfield Contest
- 9/16/2013: Drumline Competes at First Contest
- 8/23/2013: Band Previews Marching Show for Parents
- 7/29/2013: Drum Majors Set to Lead GHS Pirate Band
- 7/29/2013: Band Program Welcoming New Faces