- Granbury ISD
- Bond News
Return to HeadlinesIn March 2015, the district will begin construction on new gymnasiums for Acton Elementary School and Emma Roberson Elementary School this summer.
GROUNDBREAKING BEGINS GHS TRANSFORMATION PROJECT
November 19, 2014
Granbury ISD school board trustees and administrators along with bond steering committee members, architects, construction contractors, education foundation officers, school administrators, and students joined together for an informal groundbreaking at Granbury High School on November 19, 2014.
The small ceremony was held as construction kicks off on the high school's transformation that will proceed over next 18 months.
The renovations and additions to the high school campus are part of an $84.9 million bond program approved by voters in November 2013. Additions will be for career and technical education, fine arts, ninth grade academic classrooms, and office area with a secure entry. The plan also includes building a robust technology infrastructure for model classrooms throughout the school district.
The design features a collegiate look, according to Huckabee architect Tim McClure. Granbury stone will prominently provide a consistent look throughout the exterior of the building, and entry points clearly distinguished for parents and visitors. Inside, a commons area will be the focal point of the interior with the cafeteria, library, and coffee bar.
Academic departments will be grouped, with teachers having a common office area to meet individually with students, for tutoring, and for collaboration with their colleagues. Hallways will be streamlined to provide efficient corridors for student movement and supervision. In addition, CTE programs will be centralized in the back of the building with a separate secure entry with classrooms and labs designed specifically for those specialized programs.
Construction will begin in November under the supervision of the Buford-Thompson Company, construction manager at-risk for all GISD bond projects. BTC outlined the following phases for the high school work:
- Phase 1: Ninth Grade Addition (November 2014-August 2015), Southwest Parking Lot (November 2014-February 2015), Northwest Parking Lot (to be used as BTC compound for duration of construction)
- Phase 2: CTE Addition (December 2014-June 2016), Fine Arts Addition (February 2015-April 2016), Locker Room Addition (April-October 2015)
- Phase 3: Locker Room Renovations for Field House, James Wann Sports Center, and Pirate Gym (Spring 2015)
- Phase 4: Library, Old Office Area, Cafeteria (Summer 2015)
- Phase 5: Classrooms, Grand Hall, Upper Grand Hall, Auditorium (Summer 2016)
The bond program already has begun at other campuses. Construction is near complete at all elementary and middle schools for controlled entry vestibules to improve campus security. With the secure entries, visitors will be required to report to the campus office in order to present identification before being granted access to the main part of the school. In addition, the district has been building a stronger technology infrastructure and deploying new technology devices and accessories for model classrooms.
Links to Related Information:Previous News Articles:
- 11/7/2014: Bond Steering Committee Reviews Construction Progress
- 11/5/2014: GHS Announces Parking, Traffic Plans for First Phase of Construction
- 11/3/2014: Trustees Approve Construction Price for GHS Transformation, Two Elementary Gyms
- 8/19/2014: Business Team Hears GHS Transformation Plan
- 7/14/2014: Trustees Review High School Transformation Plan
- 6/19/2014: Superintendent Discusses Summer Construction Projects
- 6/16/2014: Construction on Secure School Entries Begins
- 6/4/2014: Trustees Approve Construction Price for Secure School Entries
- 11/6/2013: GISD Voters Approve Bond Propositions