- Granbury ISD
- 2020-21 School Year
GHS SWIMMERS CAPTURE 8TH STRAIGHT DISTRICT TITLE
January 25, 2021
The Granbury Pirate swimmers repeated as district champions for the eighth consecutive year on January 21, 2021, at Mansfield ISD’s Debbie Weems Natatorium. Twenty Granbury High School students are advancing to the regional contest.
The GHS swimmers posted 347 points in the combined team scores – more than twice ahead of second-place Decatur with 156 points.
Matthew Walters, a junior, was named Boy Swimmer of the Meet, while head coach Jason Pullano was named Co-Boys Coach of the Meet.
Granbury garnered eight district titles with first-place finishes, including two boys’ relays and one girls’ relay. Individuals placing first were Kori Brawner (Girls 500 Freestyle), Daniel D’Souza (Boys 100 Butterfly), Mary Power (Girls 100 Butterfly), Matthew Walters (Boys 50 Freestyle), and Brady Willmeth (Boys 100 Freestyle).
Results from the District 5-5A meet are below. The top three place finishers are medalists, and the top four advance to the regional competition.
- Girls 50 Freestyle: Brenna Haynes, third; Emma Grace Brown, fourth; Katelyn Jernigan, fifth; Kensington Loving, ninth
- Girls 100 Backstroke: Kori Brawner, second; Emily Dolan, tenth; Kensington Loving, eleventh
- Girls 100 Breaststroke: Mary Power, second; Trinity Belott, third; Reese Holmgreen, fifth; Emma Grace Brown, eighth
- Girls 100 Butterfly: Mary Power, first; Madi Jones, fifth; Faith Schmeets, sixth; Katelyn Jernigan, eighth
- Girls 100 Freestyle: Ashley Loveless, third; Brenna Hayes, sixth; Kaitlyn Heffernan, eighth (tied); Rowan Meer, eighth (tied)
- Girls 200 Freestyle: Ashley Loveless, first; Tessa Fox, third; Kaitlyn Heffernan, fifth; Rowan Meer, seventh
- Girls 200 Individual Medley: Trinity Belott, third; Madi Jones, sixth; Reese Holmgreen, ninth; Emily Dolan, tenth
- Girls 200 Freestyle Relay: Kaitlyn Heffernan, Faith Schmeets, Brenna Haynes, Madi Jones, second
- Girls 200 Medley Relay: Kori Brawner, Trinity Belott, Mary Power, Ashley Loveless, second
- Girls 400 Freestyle Relay: Kori Brawner, Trinity Belott, Mary Power, Ashley Loveless, first
- Girls 500 Freestyle: Kori Brawner, first; Tessa Fox, fourth; Faith Schmeets, fifth; Bella Castillo, sixth
- Boys 50 Freestyle: Matthew Walters, first; Brady Willmeth, third; Jaden Bradshaw, fourth; Braxton Heffernan, seventh
- Boys 100 Backstroke: Ryan Solisz, fourth; Zachary Kinsfather, sixth; Luke Basil, eighth
- Boys 100 Breaststroke: Daniel D’Souza, second; Matthew Walters, fourth; Bodie Chastain, fifth; Preston Beauchamp, sixth
- Boys 100 Butterfly: Daniel D’Souza, first; Jordan Buchanan, sixth; Jack Barefoot, eighth
- Boys 100 Freestyle: Brady Willmeth, first; Tyler Guidry, third; Jaden Bradshaw, sixth; Braxton Heffernan, tenth
- Boys 200 Freestyle: Tyler Guidry, second; Brady Porter, third; Christian Cavazos, fifth; William Power, seventh
- Boys 200 Individual Medley: Jordan Buchanan, third; Ryan Solisz, fourth; Preston Beauchamp, sixth; Colin Lindsey, seventh
- Boys 200 Freestyle Relay: Matthew Walters, Brady Willmeth, Jaden Bradshaw, Daniel D’Souza, first
- Boys 200 Medley Relay: Zachary Kinsfather, Ryan Solisz, Jordan Buchanan, Jaden Bradshaw, third
- Boys 400 Freestyle Relay: Matthew Walters, Brady Willmeth, Tyler Guidry, Daniel D’Souza, first
- Boys 500 Freestyle: Brady Porter, second; Colin Lindsey, third; Jack Barefoot, fifth; Zachary Kinsfather, sixth
Advancing to regionals are Trinity Belott, Jaden Bradshaw, Kori Brawner, Emma Grace Brown, Jordan Buchanan, Daniel D’Souza, Tessa Fox, Tyler Guidry, Brenna Hayes, Kaitlyn Heffernan, Madi Jones, Zachary Kinsfather, Colin Lindsey, Ashley Loveless, Brady Porter, Mary Power, Faith Schmeets, Ryan Solisz, Matthew Walters, and Brady Willmeth.
In addition to Granbury, the district meet included swimmers from Aledo, Azle, Boyd, Burkburnett, Decatur, Wichita Falls, Wichita Falls Hirschi, and Wichita Falls Rider.
The Region II-5A Swimming & Diving Championships will be held Saturday, February 6 at the Mansfield ISD natatorium.