- Granbury ISD
- 2022-23 School Year
Return to Headlines
TRUSTEES HOLD MONTHLY BOARD MEETING
February 21, 2023
Board Meeting Briefs
The Granbury ISD School Board met for its regular monthly meeting on Monday, February 20, 2023.
Open Session 1:02:25
- Trustee Karen Lowery led the invocation.
- Granbury High School MCJROTC Battalion Commander Ashley Jimenez led the pledges.
Achievement Spotlight 1:03:50
- Brawner Elementary School Spanish Spelling Bee winners were recognized.
- 4th Grade: Ileana Vazquez, Runner-up; Eliana Aguago, Champion
- 5th Grade: Reminton Fernandez, Runner-up; Jose Sanchez, Champion
- Regional Bee Contestants: Eliana and Jose will both move on to the Regional Bee at the Region 11 Education Service Center on March 24, 2023.
- Students from the Granbury High School MCJROTC Orienteering, Rifle, and Robotics teams were recognized for recent accomplishments.
- Orienteering Team (Won State): Zachary Brief, Brady Furr, Anthony Garcia, Austin Huggins, Cadince McGrath, Jacob Pyles
- Rifle Team (Six Time Marine Corps Champions and heading to Nationals): Ashton Arlington, Caroline Martin, Sunnee Schumann, Kameron Wells, Julia Czernik, Cadince McGrath, Kennedy Wells, Ainsley Milligan, Viola Allen, Caylynn Price, Mataya Turner
- Robotics Team (Heading to State and Nationals): Zachary Layland, Rhyan Obina, Kaylynn Slaughter, Kameron Wells, Marcus Hadaway, Wyatt Mraz, Zachary Cole, Dalton Weddle, Ennio Montes, Braden Seaborn, Matthew Wilson
Open Forum 1:16:35
- In open forum, public commenters spoke for 3 minutes on various topics.
- During her public comment, community member Nancy Alana referenced the Hall of Fame nomination process. More information is available at https://www.granburyisd.org/halloffame. Nominations are due March, 10, 2023.
Superintendent's Report 1:54:25
- Superintendent Dr. Jeremy Glenn praised the Pirate and Lady Pirate basketball teams for qualifying for the playoffs. Dr. Glenn also shared legislative updates.
Informational Report 2:07:49
- Julie Rohleder, Baccus Elementary School principal, shared an update on the Baccus Targeted Improvement Plan (TIP).
- Tammy Clark, assistant superintendent, presented an update on District attendance and truancy.
Consent Agenda Items 2:42:00
- Trustees approved January meeting and workshop minutes, TASB local policy update, Gifted & Talented policy and procedures, JROTC stipend schedule, and budget amendments.
- The board approved the following agenda items:
- budget assumptions for the 2023-24 school year
- renewal of an auditing firm contract
- purchase of band uniforms
- resolution of sale of District property located at 1301 James Road
- resolution to compensate staff for the days missed due to inclement weather
- academic calendar for the 2023-24 school year
- available at www.granburyisd.org/calendar
- strategic planning process proposal
- MOU with the City of Granbury for non-profit organization use of buildings
- allow trustee training with any TEA approved vendor
- The trustees rejected a proposed policy that states, "all suspected criminal incidents are to be referred to the appropriate prosecuting authority, without delay, together with all evidence accumulated by witnesses, personnel and administrators. Failure to comply shall be grounds for dismissal.”
- The board instead upheld current state law and board policy to report criminal activity.
- During discussion, the board showed support for reporting criminal or inappropriate behavior.
- Some trustees shared the current state law and board policy provided stronger language than the proposed policy.
- There was also concern that legal counsel was not consulted before a policy change was made.
- Ultimately, the proposal failed by a 5-2 margin.
- District administration did make it clear that staff is aware of state and local reporting requirements and affirmed the district’s commitment to follow policy.
- Refer to timestamp 3:15:14 to watch the discussion/action of this agenda item.
- In financial reports, chief financial officer Emmett Whitefield shared general operating financial statements and cash flow statements for the period ending January 31, 2023.
More Meeting Information
- The meeting agenda and minutes may be downloaded from BoardBook.
- More School Board information is available at https://www.granburyisd.org/schoolboard.
- The meeting recording may be watched on the Granbury ISD YouTube Channel.
- Timestamps are available by selecting "show more" under the video description.
- Trustees next convene for a regular meeting on Monday, March 27, 2023, with an Executive Session at 5:00pm followed by a Regular Session at 6:00pm.
- Regular meetings are held in the GISD Board Room in the Administration Building at 217 N. Jones Street.
- Regular meetings are live streamed on the Granbury ISD YouTube Channel.