- Granbury ISD
- 2016-17 School Year
Return to Headlines
LADY PIRATES PILE UP SOFTBALL HONORS
June 22, 2017
Granbury High School players on the Lady Pirate Softball team accumulated a lengthy list of honors following the 2017 season.
Granbury won second place in District 9-5A and advanced to the post-season for the first time since 2014. The girls capped off the successful season with a bi-district matchup versus Mansfield Lake Ridge, falling to the Lady Eagles 5-2 in the single-game playoff.
Kelby Been, a sophomore pitcher on the GHS varsity squad, was named to the Star-Telegram’s Super Team. Receiving second-team honors, the newspaper’s sports writer noted “[t]he 9-5A Pitcher of the Year won 13 games with a 1.75 ERA and 172 strikeouts in 136 innings.”
Senior Livia Zamora, who will be continuing her playing career at Texas Woman's University this fall, and junior Everly Carey were also Super Team nominees.
Carey received an invitation to play on the 5A-6A All-Star Game by the Texas Girls Coaches Association. That game will be played during the TGCA Summer Clinic on July 12 at Noack Softball Field in Austin.
Ten Lady Pirates won spots on the All-District team. Granbury racked up several superlative awards with Kelby Been as Pitcher of the Year, Lani Hickey was Defensive Player of the Year and Livia Zamora was Utility Player of the Year.
Receiving first-team honors were senior Casey Hobbs and juniors Everly Carey and Mary Kate McClaran. On the second team were freshmen Rayli Ruby and Brianna Venable. Honorable mention selections were senior Lyndsey Sager and sophomore Rachel McWilliams.
Zamora was on the honorable mention the past two years and made the second team in 2014 as a freshman. Hickey received first-team accolades in 2016, when Been and Carey got second-team nods.
In addition, head coach Erinn Jayjohn was named district Coach of the Year.
Varsity team awards announced at the spring banquet included:
- Most Valuable Player: Kelby Been
- Offensive Most Valuable Player: Livia Zamora
- Defensive Most Valuable Player: Everly Carey
- Pirate Heart Award: Madison Everage and Rachel McWilliams
- Most Valuable Player: Mckalyn Rudnicky
- Offensive Most Valuable Player: Gracie Shelton
- Defensive Most Valuable Player: Lydia Davalos
- Most Improved Player: Melia Durham
- Pirate Heart Award: Taryn Matthews
Academic All-State honors went to senior Halley Malloy. In addition, Lady Pirates receiving Academic All-District recognition were Kelby Been, Madison Everage, Lani Hickey, Casey Hobbs, Mary Kate McClaran, Rachel McWiliams, Hannah Pallett, Rayli Ruby, Lyndsey Sager, Brianna Venable, and Livia Zamora.
Team rosters for the 2017 season were:
- Varsity: Kelby Been, Stormi Burns, Everly Carey, Madison Everage, Lani Hickey, Casey Hobbs, Haley Malloy, Mary Kate McClaran, Rachel McWilliams, Hannah Pallett, Rayli Ruby, Lyndsey Sager, Brianna Venable, Livia Zamora
- Junior Varsity: Shay Bradshaw, Lydia Davalos, Melia Durham, Marleigh Jackson, Miranda Jackson, Katy Malloy, Taryn Matthews, Kaylee Mitchell, Michaela Nadason, Kaitlyn Redd, Mckalyn Rudnicky, Melody Sanchez, Gracie Shelton, Cerena Torrez, Makayla Woody
Jayjohn was assisted by Kristen Treppa, Ashley Seibel, and athletic trainer Connie Rhodes.
In addition to Granbury, District 9-5A is composed of Arlington Seguin, Burleson, Burleson Centennial, Cleburne, Everman, and Joshua.