March 29, 2022
Several Granbury High School students qualified for regional competition at the District 5-5A UIL academic meet on March 26, 2022, hosted by GHS.
Students in the top three individual places qualify for the regional meet, as do all members of a first-place team. Also competing in District 5-5A were Aledo, Azle, Brewer, Wichita Falls, and Wichita Falls Rider.
Students placing in district competition at were:
- Accounting: Team – Alex Call, Katherine Funk, Griselda Landa Noyola, Lillian Welch, 1st; Individual – Lillian Welch, 1st; Alex Call, 2nd
- Computer Applications: Team – Zachary Layland, Braden Seaborn, Matthew Shute, 1st; Individual – Zachary Layland, 1st; Matthew Shute, 2nd; Braden Seaborn, 3rd
- Computer Science: Team – Zachary Layland, Braden Seaborn, Matthew Shute, 2nd; Individual – Zachary Layland, 3rd
- Copy Editing: Carolina Garcia, 1st
- Current Events and Issues: Team – Alex Call, Xander Funk, Carter McKay, McKenna Smith, 2nd; Individual – Carter McKay, 1st
- Literary Criticism: Team – Todd Eatherly, Xander Funk, Carolina Garcia, Jordyn Stevens, 2nd
- News Writing: Quinn King, 3rd
- Ready Writing: Laura Burch, 1st; Jordyn Stevens, 2nd
- Science: Team – Kaylee Black, Sully Brown, Clayton Christy, Connor Pearson, Cooper Sanderson, Gene Williams, 2nd; Individual – Kaylee Black, 2nd
- Social Studies: Team – Megan Cummins, Annabel Dikes, Carter McKay, Skyler Mitchell, 2nd; Individual – Annabel Dikes, 3rd
- Spelling and Vocabulary: Team – Daniel Blankenship, Emily Dolan, Annabelle Snow, Mann Vaghashia, 1st; Individual - Emily Dolan, 1st; Daniel Blankenship, 2nd; Mann Vagahashia, 3rd
GHS coaches for the academic team are: Margarite Anderson, ready writing, literacy criticism, and journalism; Tammy Bodine, accounting and spelling; Colin Contreras, current events and issues; Cindy Jackson, science; Angela Jumper, computer science and computer applications; Cindy Leatherman, social studies; Josh Martin, calculator, mathematics, and number sense; Shyller McGuire, speech and debate.
Speech and debate events will be held on Saturday, April 2 at GHS.
Students will compete at the regional level on April 22-23 at Texas Tech University in Lubbock.
Pictured are district champion accounting and spelling teams.