- Granbury High School
- JROTC News
Return to Headlines
TRANSFORMING EXPERIENCE FOR JROTC AT HARLINGEN MARINE ACADEMY
February 3, 2016
Seventy-eight Marine Corps JROTC students from Granbury High School and Crossland Ninth Grade Center ventured to Harlingen for a four-day exercise at the Marine Military Academy on January 24-28, 2016.
“It is an exciting and, in some cases, a transforming experience for many of our students,” commented Lt. Col. Scott Casey, the Senior Marine Instructor. This event is to familiarize cadets with a military lifestyle to include team building exercises, physical fitness, and leadership challenges.
Activities included an obstacle course, high ropes course, low ropes course, combat fitness test, close order drill, pugil sticks, and paint ball. The group hiked four miles on the final night to an Iwo Jima statue that served as the basis for the famed memorial in the Washington D.C. area. Also included were study times to work on school assignments as well room and hygiene inspections.
Boys bunked in the academy dormitories, while girls were housed at a nearby church because the academy includes an all-male boarding school. The students went without cell phones, computers, and other daily amenities to focus on the drills and other activities.
Participants from GHS were Noah Andrews, Morgan Arnold, Ethan Avalos, Cody Bogle, Brayston Avila, Braydan Brown, Gunnar Brown, Robert Chancellor, Hunter Clowers, Blake Connolly, Carter Cross, Aaron Dowell, Jonathan Hammond, Trinity Hathaway, Freeman Hawker, Christopher Hitshew, Kayla Hitshew, Samantha Jensen, Ceigan Jones, Jackson Kelley, Grant Kinser, Angela Klein, Jason Kowalewski, Jason Lambert, Katherine Lambert, Brandon Marriott, Valentina Marshall, Tyler Morrissette, Cole Novin, Jacob Oberle, Jeremiah Patterson, Lakota Pelton, Tamara Peters, G’Angela Pickett, Colin Pieren, Brittney Pinckard, Daishia Pratt, Asa Redburn, Nathan Richt, Cody Reynolds, Thomas Richardson, Manuel Rocha, Shayla Satterfield, Preston Schroeder, Aimee Selman, Angela Shelly, Isaiah Snodgrass, Orion Snodgrass, Christopher Smith, Jorden Wilkerson, and Falicia Wright.
Freshman attending were Benjamin Bennett, Ashlynn Brown, Haille Brumley, Cody Cox, Lexie Current, Jacob Dunlap, Kaliyah Flournoy, Chandler Ford, Darrion Franks, Carlos Gallegos, Jaxon Golden, Rylee Holderness, Sierra Jenson, Ethan Patterson, Elizabeth Plecity, Jakob Rankin, Israel Salazar, Jarrod Stevens, John Taylor, Megan Thompson, James Tomontong-Johnston Jr., Eric Valdez, Jed Wagner, Tara Walls, and John Watson.
Accompanying the group were five EMT students from the health science program: Alex Adams, Sarah Jacobs, Dakota Paulo, Erin Pavelick, Connor Sager. The students participated in training and also provided first aid to cadets.
Casey is assisted by First Sergeant Johnny Rositas. Other sponsors were GHS health science teacher Christy Pieren and Mambrino School teacher Shannon Chancellor.
Links to Related Information:Previous News Articles:
- 1/21/2016: School Board Honors All-State, Art, and Rifle Team Students at Monthly Meeting
- 1/7/2016: JROTC Rifle Team Selected for Regional Contest Again
- 12/7/2015: JROTC Rifle Team Wins State Championship
- 11/17/2015: JROTC Rifle Team Sweeps Competition at Cowtown Classic
- 11/12/2015: JROTC Cadets Keep Busy Schedule Around Veterans Day
- 11/12/2015: GISD Students Join Community Veterans Celebration
- 11/10/2015: Brawner Holds Flag Ceremony and Parade
- 11/10/2015: GMS Studnets Honor Veterans
- 11/3/2015: GHS Student Honored for JROTC Graphics Work
- 10/30/2015: Rifle Team Sets School Record in Marksmanship Contests
- 10/30/2015: GHS Seniors Recognized at Final Home Football Game
- 10/8/2015: JROTC Hosts Physical Fitness Challenge
- 9/29/2015: Records Set at JROTC Rifle Team's Season Opener
- 9/23/2015: School Board Recognizes Marine Corps JROTC
- 9/11/2015: Marine Corps League Donates Trailer to JROTC Program
- 9/4/2015: GISD "Backs the Blue" to Support Law Enforcement
- 8/28/2015: JROTC Unit Recognized as Naval Honor School
- 8/5/2015: JROTC Rifle Team Prepares for Marksmanship Contests
- 6/26/2015: JROTC New Cadet Orientation Set for August 4-6